Scientific Summer Scholars Program
Our highly competitive ten-week Scientific Summer Scholars Program provides research training opportunities for top-tier students to gain research experience, enhance their preparation in applying to top graduate and professional programs, and expose them to NIBR's approaches to patient-driven research. Scholars work on their own project with the guidance of a NIBR scientist. NIBR's research covers many disease, science, and technology areas that allow us to closely match your specific interests with one of our labs.
As a Scholar, you will work on your own project with the guidance of a NIBR scientist as well as participate in professional development and social activities:
- Research project: designing and executing experiments; analyzing your own data, learning new experimental techniques, and building your understanding of scientific concepts
- Scientific development: learning about drug discovery projects from experts; showcasing your results to the broader NIBR community; evaluating scientific articles in a fun and interactive setting
- Professional development: engaging in graduate/professional school preparations; cultivating your network with fellow scholars and NIBR scientific leaders; gaining insight into how our community channeled their scientific interests into various career objectives
- Social activities: fostering collegial interactions during a scavenger hunt at a local museum, welcome and farewell events
Students who have completed their sophomore year in college or university but not have graduated from a Master's degree program prior to the start of the scholars program, are welcome to apply. Ph.D. and M.D. students are not eligible for this program. Applicants must attend a university in a U.S. state or territory and be eligible to work in the United States. Students should have a strong desire to pursue graduate-level education in biological sciences, chemistry or computational sciences and have at least a G.P.A of 3.3 out of a 4.0 scale.
Inclusion of the broadest slate of talent is very important to us. We encourage applications from talented individuals, among others, who are currently underserved in the sciences. Examples include first-generation college students, socioeconomically disadvantaged students, individuals with learning differences, and under-represented minorities.
The application for the 2020 cycle of Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research Scientific Summer Scholars Program will open in the Fall of 2019.
The program is a paid, full-time, research opportunity.
Housing and Travel: In addition to our competitive pay rate, financial support for housing, travel, and local transit systems will be provided based on the Company's non-discriminatory assessment of the applicant's need. Please complete the financial assistance portion of the application to be considered. All scholars have the opportunity to reside in local university residences within the heart of the city, where access to transit systems is readily available.
Health Insurance: The Massachusetts Health Care Reform Law requires all adult residents (permanent and temporary), age 18 and older, to have health insurance. In Cambridge, health insurance will be provided to those who will not have continuous coverage during the summer.
Locations: We have Scientific Summer Scholar opportunities at our headquarters in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
To apply, you must use the link below. Please note that this is a multi-step process which includes a Cover Letter Form, Curriculum Vitae (CV) Form, Application, 3 letters of recommendation and an official transcript.
Please view the program application instructions below for details. All application materials must be received by the deadline.
- Apply to Summer Scholars Program
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) Worksheet (Doc 0.4 MB)
- Cover Letter Worksheet (Doc 0.4 MB)
- Program Application Instructions (Doc 0.1 MB)
Please note: All candidates will receive an automated email notification that their application has been received. Due to the high volume of applications, only successful applicants will be notified on a rolling basis between January and March.
For questions regarding the U.S. Summer Scholars Program, please contact us at: [email protected]
To apply for other internship opportunities at NIBR, please visit Jobs at NIBR.
Novartis is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, or disability.