Summer Internship Program
Our highly competitive ten-week Scientific Summer Internship Program provides research training opportunities for top-tier students to gain research experience, enhance their preparation for careers in biomedical research and application to top graduate and professional programs, and expose them to NIBR's approaches to patient-driven research. Interns work on their own research project with the guidance of a NIBR scientist mentor. NIBR's research covers many disease, science, and technology areas that allow us to closely match each intern’s specific interests with one of our labs.
As a Summer Intern, you will design and conduct your own project with support of a NIBR scientist. You will also participate in professional development and social activities:
- Research project: designing and executing experiments; analyzing your own data, learning new experimental techniques, and building your understanding of scientific concepts
- Scientific development: learning about drug discovery projects from experts; showcasing your results to the broader NIBR community; evaluating scientific articles in a fun and interactive setting
- Professional development: exploring the diversity of career options the biomedical industry has to offer; engaging in graduate/professional school preparations; cultivating your network with fellow interns and NIBR scientific leaders; gaining insight into how our community channeled their scientific interests into various career objectives
- Social activities: fostering collegial interactions during formal and informal social gatherings; attending welcome and farewell events
- Applicants must have completed at least three semesters or four quarters at an accredited U.S. college or university before the start of the internship
- Applicants must attend a school in a U.S. state or territory and be eligible to work in the United States
- Applicants must have a strong desire to pursue a career in a biomedical field
- Applicants should have a GPA of at least 3.3 on a 4.0 scale, however, this comprises only one element of the application, which is reviewed in its totality
Ph.D., Master’s, PharmD, and M.D. students are not eligible for this program.
Inclusion of the broadest slate of talent is very important to us. We encourage applications from talented individuals, among others, who are currently underserved in the sciences. Examples include first-generation college students, socioeconomically disadvantaged students, individuals with learning differences, and under-represented minorities.
To apply for the 2021 cycle of the Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research Summer Internship Program, please follow the link below to the online application.
The program is a paid, full-time, research opportunity.
Housing and Travel: In addition to our competitive pay rate, financial support for housing, travel, and local transit systems will be provided based on the Company's non-discriminatory assessment of the applicant's need. All interns have the opportunity to reside in local university residences within the heart of the city, where access to local transit systems is readily available.
Health Insurance: The Massachusetts Health Care Reform Law requires all adult residents (permanent and temporary), age 18 and older, to have health insurance. In Cambridge, health insurance will be provided to those who will not have continuous coverage during the summer.
Locations: We have Summer Internship opportunities at our headquarters in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
To apply, you must use the link to the application portal below. Please note that this on-line application process requires uploading a Cover Letter, Personal Statement, Curriculum Vitae (CV), a list of 2-3 references, and an official transcript. All documents uploaded must use the pdf file format.
Please click the link below for more details and to apply. The applications link will be active only during the open applications period. All application materials must be received by the deadline indicated in the application portal.
Apply to Summer Scholars Program
Use this link: https://nibr-bei.smapply.io/ to begin the application process. You will have the opportunity to select one or more areas of interest in the on-line application.
All applicants will receive an automated email notification that their application has been received. Applicants chosen for interviews will be contacted between January and March. Successful applicants will be notified on a rolling basis through early April.
For questions regarding the U.S. Summer Internship Program, please contact us at: f[email protected]