Member of the Executive Committee
Steffen Lang, Ph.D.
President, Operations since April 4, 2022
As President, Operations, Steffen Lang leads a team of 35,000 associates dedicated to manufacturing and supplying high-quality medicines to patients, and providing operational support to the entire Novartis enterprise. Novartis Operations incorporates the company’s manufacturing, quality, and supply organization, as well as information technology, data and digital, procurement, environmental sustainability, facility services, and other global services.
Prior to taking on this role, Steffen was Global Head of Novartis Technical Operations (NTO). Under his leadership, NTO underwent a transformation to become one of the leading manufacturing and supply organizations in the industry, providing agile, efficient support to the business, and reliably delivering life-changing medicines to patients around the world. During this time, the unit adapted its manufacturing capacity and capabilities to the changing needs of the Novartis strategy and product portfolio, maximizing the potential of its assets and expertise. As well as delivering technological innovation to enable the production of advanced therapeutic platforms, the unit collaborated with industry partners to support global demand for COVID-19 vaccines and therapies.
I’m inspired by our patients, steered by our people, and passionate about data science and technologies. I am proud that through the diversity and unique expertise of our organization, our collaborative approach, and our strong focus on operational excellence, we are enabling Novartis to deliver transformational solutions that are helping us to expand the positive impact we have for our patients, our associates, the business, and society.
Steffen draws on a wealth of experience in the pharmaceutical industry, with a career that ranges from research through development to manufacturing and supply. He joined Novartis in 1994 as Head of Laboratory in Research, and held positions of increasing responsibility before taking on his present role in 2022.
In his spare time, Steffen enjoys indoor and outdoor sports, and spending time with his family and friends.
Nationality: German/Swiss | Year of birth: 1967
- Global Head of Novartis Technical Operations (NTO) (2017–April 2022)
- Global Head of Biologics Technical Development and Manufacturing, Novartis Technical Operations, Switzerland (2015–2017)
- Global Head of Technical Research and Development, Novartis Pharmaceuticals, Switzerland (2009–2015)
- Joined Novartis in 1994 as Head of Laboratory in Research, and over the years held positions of increasing responsibility within Pharmaceuticals Development
- Board member, Bachem Holding AG, Switzerland
- Doctorate in pharmaceutical technology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Switzerland
- Master’s degree in pharmaceutical sciences, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Information is accurate as of April 4, 2022