Member of the Executive Committee
Shreeram Aradhye, M.D.
President, Development and Chief Medical Officer since May 16, 2022
As President, Development and Chief Medical Officer for Novartis, Shreeram Aradhye is responsible for advancing the Novartis pipeline of investigational medicines to bring transformative new treatment options to patients, with a focus on high-value assets in four core therapeutic areas.
Shreeram’s organization leads the development of potential new medicines, running large clinical trials and steering the path to regulatory approval, while also maintaining oversight of ongoing patient safety and regulatory activities for licensed therapies. As part of the focused Novartis strategy, Shreeram and his team play a central role in driving the company’s mid- to long-term growth and delivering on its purpose to improve and extend people’s lives, with a strong pipeline that includes potential new treatments for cardiovascular and immunological conditions, neurological disorders and various forms of cancer.
It’s a true privilege and great responsibility to develop and deliver the next generation of transformational medicines founded in innovative science.
Shreeram is passionate about developing investigational medicines, recognizing the hope and trust of patients participating in clinical trials. He has dedicated his professional career to improving patients’ lives, first as an academic clinician and then as a drug developer and business leader.
Shreeram took on his current role at Novartis in May 2022, rejoining the company after spending several years at US biotechnology companies, including leading the development of multiple clinical stage RNAi assets at Dicerna Pharmaceuticals. He first joined Novartis in 1999 and over the course of 20 years held a succession of leadership roles in the US, Switzerland, Germany and India, including Global Head of Medical Affairs for the Pharmaceuticals Business Unit and Development Head for the Neuroscience Franchise.
Before joining the life sciences industry, Shreeram was an attending physician and assistant professor of medicine and a transplant nephrologist at the University of Pennsylvania. He completed his medical training at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences in 1989, after which he received additional specialty training in internal medicine and nephrology in the US.
Shreeram has a keen interest in photography, leveraging the camera lens as vehicle to notice, be present and observe.
Nationality: American | Year of birth: 1962
- Executive vice president and chief medical officer, Dicerna Pharmaceuticals, US (2020–March 2022)
- Executive vice president and chief development officer, Axcella Health, US (2019–2020)
- Global Head, Medical Affairs and Chief Medical Officer, Pharmaceuticals, Novartis, US & Switzerland (2017–2019)
- Global Head, Development Franchise, Neuroscience, and US Head, Development, Novartis, US & Switzerland (2013–2017)
- Executive Global Program Head, Multiple Sclerosis, Novartis, Switzerland (2012–2013)
- Head, Global Development India, Novartis, India (2011–2012)
- Head, Global Clinical Development & Medical Affairs, Biosimilars, Sandoz, Germany (2009–2011)
- Joined Novartis in 1999 holding positions of increasing responsibility
- Chief resident and teaching fellow in internal medicine, Newton Wellesley Hospital, US
- Resident in internal medicine, Newton Wellesley Hospital, US
- Fellow in nephrology, St Luke’s Roosevelt Medical Center, US
- Resident in internal medicine (M.D.), All India Institute of Medical Sciences, India
- Bachelor of medicine and bachelor of surgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, India