Our ten-week Summer Internship Program provides research training opportunities for top-tier students who have minimal exposure to industry research. This program enables students to gain research experience that enhances their preparation for careers in biomedical research and application to top graduate and professional programs. Interns will learn about NIBR’s approaches to patient-driven research as they work on their own research project under the guidance of a NIBR scientist mentor at our research facilities in Cambridge, Massachusetts. NIBR's research covers many disease, science, and technology areas that allow us to closely match each intern’s specific interests with one of our labs.
About the program
A NIBR Summer Internship is a unique opportunity for top-tier college students to gain research experience in a biomedical industry setting. Interns are mentored by NIBR scientists who are passionate about patient-driven approaches to drug discovery research and motivated to enhance students’ preparation for graduate and professional degree programs.
As a Summer Intern, you will design and conduct your own project with support of a NIBR scientist. You will also participate in professional development and social activities.
- Research project: designing and executing experiments; analyzing your own data, learning new experimental techniques, and building your understanding of scientific concepts
- Scientific development: learning about drug discovery projects from experts; showcasing your results to the broader NIBR community; evaluating scientific articles in a fun and interactive setting
- Professional development: exploring the diversity of career options the biomedical industry has to offer; engaging in graduate/professional school preparations; cultivating your network with fellow interns and NIBR scientific leaders
- Social activities: fostering collegial interactions during formal and informal social activities; participating in welcome and farewell events
Inclusion of the broadest slate of talent is very important to us. We encourage applications from talented individuals who are currently underserved in the sciences. Examples include first-generation college students, socioeconomically disadvantaged students, individuals with learning differences, and under-represented minorities.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age at the start of the program
- Applicants must have completed at least three semesters or four quarters at an accredited U.S. college or university before the start of the internship
- Applicants must attend a school in a U.S. state or territory and be eligible to work in the United States
- Applicants must have a strong desire to pursue a career in a biomedical field
- Applicants should have a GPA of at least 3.3 on a 4.0 scale, however, this comprises only one element of the application, which is reviewed in its totality
Students who are enrolled in Ph.D., Master’s, PharmD, or M.D. programs are not eligible for this program.
The program is a paid, full-time, research opportunity. Pay is competitive with local internship wages.
Housing and Travel: Financial support for housing, travel, and local transit systems will be provided based on the Company's non-discriminatory assessment of the applicant's need. All interns have the opportunity to reside in local university residences within the heart of the city, where access to local transit systems is readily available.
Health Insurance: The Massachusetts Health Care Reform Law requires that all adult residents (permanent and temporary), age 18 and older, must have health insurance. In Cambridge, health insurance will be provided to those who will not have continuous coverage from another source during the summer.
Locations: NIBR Summer Internships are available at our research headquarters in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
|December 31, 2022
||February - March 2023
To apply, you must use the link to the application portal below. Please note that this on-line application process requires uploading a Cover Letter, Personal Statement, Curriculum Vitae (CV), a list of 2-3 references, and a transcript from your academic institution (non-official transcripts from academic institutions are acceptable). All documents uploaded must use the pdf file format.
Please click the link below for more details and to apply. The applications link will be active only during the open applications period. All application materials must be received by the deadline indicated in the application portal.
Use this link: https://nibr-bei.smapply.io/ to begin the application process. You will have the opportunity to select one or more areas of interest in the on-line application.
All applicants will receive an automated email notification that their application has been received. Applicants chosen for interviews will be contacted between January and March. Successful applicants will be notified for offers on a rolling basis through early March.
For questions regarding the NIBR Summer Internship Program, please contact us at: [email protected]. Please note, we are not able to accept or respond to applications sent by email.