Certification of a supplier's diverse status is required for participation in the Novartis Supplier Diversity effort when applicable.
Certification documents from the following qualified agencies are acceptable:
- United States Small Business Administration (SBA)
- National Minority Supplier Development Council (NMSDC) or its affiliates
- Women's Business Enterprise Council (WBENC) or its affiliates
- City, State, or Federal Certification Agencies
- National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC)
- Disability: IN
- National Veteran Business Development Council (NVBDC)
Types of businesses that Novartis considers "diverse suppliers”
Small Business (self-certified): Business that is smaller than a given size as measured by its employment and revenue in accordance with the U.S. SBA.
Small Disadvantaged Business (SDB/SBA certified): A for-profit business at least 51% owned by one or more individuals who are both socially and economically disadvantaged. Firms that receive 8A certification automatically qualify as an SDB.
Small, Women Owned Business (self-certified): A for-profit business that is smaller than a given size measured by its employment and revenue in accordance with the U.S. SBA and is at least 51% owned by one or more U.S. citizen women.
Veteran (VOSB; SBA certified): A for-profit enterprise, regardless of size, at least 51% owned and controlled by U.S. citizen(s) who are Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces.
Service Disabled Veteran (SBA certified): A for-profit enterprise, regardless of size, at least 51% owned and controlled by one or more disabled veterans.
HubZone (SBA certified): A for-profit business located in a historically underutilized business zone with at least 35% of its employees residing in a HubZone.
Minority (includes MBE certified suppliers): A for-profit enterprise, regardless of size, physically in the U.S. or its trust territories, at least 51% owned by one or more minority members. Minority members may be:
- African American: origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.
- Hispanic American: true-born Hispanic heritage, from any Spanish speaking areas of Latin America or Mexico, Central America, South America and the Caribbean basin.
- Native American: American Indian, Eskimo, Aleut or Native Hawaiian.
- Asian-Pacific American: origins from Japan, China, Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Philippines, Samoa, Guam, The U.S. Trusted Territories of the Pacific or the Northern Marianas.
- Asian-Indian American: origins from India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh.
- Alaskan Native Corporation (ANC)
Disabled Business Enterprise: A business that is at least 51 percent owned by an individual or individuals with a disability, i.e. "a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities" (as defined by the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990, 42 U.S.C. section 12111 et seq., its interpretive regulations, 29 C.F.R. part 1630, and case law) who also control(s) and operate(s) it. "Control" in this context means exercising the power to make policy decisions. "Operate" in this context means actively involved in the day-to-day management of the business.
Once certified, suppliers must register with Novartis to support our compliance for supplier diversity reporting and to facilitate fast and effective transactions between our company and our suppliers.
Register as a supplier with Novartis