Project Name: Bedfordshire, Luton, and Milton Keynes (“BLMK”) Lipid Management Project
The main objective of the CWP is to improve the quality of care for patients and support the review and medical optimisation of patients with atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD) in response to the needs of the CW Partner.
The CWP will be led by the ICB Long Term Conditions Lead. Clinical delivery will be via a multi-disciplinary team (MDT), including Clinical Pharmacist, Consultant Cardiologist, Consultant Lipidologist, General Practitioner and Healthcare Assistant. The CWP aims to achieve:
- Identification of sub-optimally treated ASCVD patients who are at the highest risk of cardiovascular events and who are not achieving lipid levels as specified in local guidelines
- Review of treatment options and shared decision making with ASCVD patients, optimizing medication where appropriate
- On-going lipid management for ASCVD patients to ensure optimal lipid levels are maintained once achieved.
- Collection of baseline data, in line with the above Project Outcome Measures & Data Collection table
- Confirmation of clinical and operational pathway, policy and protocol creation, and readiness to begin the clinical activity.CW Partner shall ensure that the recruitment of 2 x 0.8 WTE Clinical Pharmacist covered by the Novartis Financial Contribution are in place, trained and ready to begin clinical activity
- Collection & submission of 3 months clinical activity data.
- Collection & submission of 6 months clinical activity data.
- Collection & submission of 9 months clinical activity data.
- Collection & submission of 12 months clinical activity data
- Development of business case
- Analysis of CWP data, submission of Final Project Report, Submission of Outcomes Summary
Anticipated benefits for patients:
- Improved access to lipid management care leading to optimal and management of ASCVD risk.
- Enhanced patient experience around ASCVD with ongoing management of the condition.
- Improved access to appropriate medication for suitable patients to preserve health and prevent long-term events
- A reduction in their future risk of heart attack and stroke.
Anticipated benefits for partner organisation:
- Increased proportion of ASCVD patients reviewed by primary care
- Increased proportion of ASCVD patients receiving expert and timely review
- Increased proportion of patients receiving guideline-directed pharmacotherapy
- Insight into benefits of primary care led lipid management clinics
- Support aligned to NHS Long Term Plan, CVDPREVENT, and Network Contract Direct Enhanced Service (DES)
Anticipated benefits for Novartis:
- Insight on the appropriate use of ASCVD licensed medicines in line with NICE guidelines, including Novartis’s medicine
- Enhanced reputation, and supporting Novartis’ vision that no patient should have to wait for an extraordinary life, by supporting high quality Collaborative Working with healthcare organisation which addresses the problem of health inequalities
- Ethical, professional, and transparent relationship between Novartis and the Healthcare Organisation
Start Date & Duration: January 2023 for 18 months.