Velindre Melanoma Referral Pathway & Specialist MDT JWP
Start Date and Duration: September 2021, 24 months
Joint Working Project Summary:
The proposal for this Joint Working Project is for Velindre University NHS Trust to work in collaboration with Novartis to re-design the South East of Wales referral pathway for all stage 3 melanoma patients, treated in adjuvant setting, and stage 4 metastatic melanoma (new and progressive). This will also include the rarer Merkell Cell & Cancer Stem Cell Carcinoma. A key deliverable will be the setup of a weekly ‘Specialist MDT’ i.e. an MDT for the above patients where they will benefit from a standardised practice of multilateral treatment decision making which will result in an optimal treatment plan for them.
The aim is to reduce inequity of patient access to the South East of Wales Melanoma services and ensuring patients receive optimal treatment. This will be done by;
- Redesigning the South East Wales melanoma Referral pathway
- Setting up a weekly Specialist MDT in Velindre University Hospital Trust.
- Ensuring all pertinent patient information is available when patient is discussed at Specialist MDT.
- Stratifying patients into models of care that are appropriate for their needs.
The above will ensure patients are seen at the right time and receive the right treatment.
Expected Patient Benefits
- Equitable access to the South East of Wales Melanoma service.
- Improved quality of care by establishing a MDT with appropriate referral pathway.
- Improving access to and assignment of optimal treatment based on individual patient needs.
UK | September 2021 | 152377