Novartis is engaged in several collaborative efforts to advance human rights in the healthcare sector and across industries.
Novartis holds several leadership positions in the PSCI, including:
- Chair of the PSCI Board (2018-2019)
- Co-chair of the Human Rights & Labor (HRL) subcommittee
- Chair of the Partnership Committee
- Our Chief Ethics, Risk and Compliance Officer has been nominated to the PSCI External Advisory Committee
Novartis has spearheaded several human rights projects and activities in the PSCI:
- Initiated a project in the Partnerships Committee to mobilize collective PSCI action to contribute to the State of Telangana’s Musi River Revitalization Initiative in Hyderabad, India.
- Mobilized a coalition of members in the HRL subcommittee to investigate collective action options to address the allegations of forced labor in the carnauba wax supply chain.
- Led the development of human rights and modern slavery training for PSCI members, and for the annual pharmaceutical supplier conferences in China and India.
- Participated in an HRL working group to jointly investigate common raw material inputs into pharmaceutical products that potentially present increased human rights risk.
Novartis has participated in BSR’s cross-industry Human Rights Working Group (HRWG) since 2018, and hosted the autumn meeting in 2019 on the Basel campus. The HRWG provides a platform for sharing cross-industry best practices and for identifying emerging business and human rights issues.