50,000 compounds! That’s the scale at which we will perform primary drug discovery screens in complex human iPSC-derived neuronal models. Your expertise will be critical in automating the cell culture and compound treatment for neuroscience drug discovery projects. The neuroscience department at the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research is seeking a talented automation expert with experience culturing cells in high-throughput formats. Our goal is to create therapeutics for devastating neurological diseases, including Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and psychiatric illnesses such as schizophrenia. To achieve this, we utilize human iPSC-derived models of neurological disorders.
In this challenging role, you will scale human neuronal models to enable large-scale compound and genetic screens for both drug and target discovery efforts. You will also support project teams with plates of neurons in addition to designing, optimizing, and utilizing automated cell culture platforms for neuroscience applications.
Apply now to join our innovative multi-disciplinary team encompassing human brain-relevant cellular models, genome engineering, genomics, and computational biology. We will provide the qualified applicant ample opportunities to impact drug discovery and grow your career as a scientist by performing high-throughput screens for Neuroscience projects.
Your key responsibilities:
• Operate automated lab equipment to grow and maintain neurons in plate format
• Grow iPSCs, neurons, and astrocytes to create large cellular banks of frozen cells
• Design sterile systems to culture and image compound-treated neurons for extended phenotyping
• Develop automation compatible assays
• Analyze, interpret, and communicate scientific data
• Test and debug new methods, optimize processes, and perform routine system QC, system maintenance, and repairs
• Utilize LIMS and tracking systems
• Thoroughly document experiments using an electronic lab notebook (ELN)
• Collaborate with stem cell biologists, automation experts, data scientists and vendors
• Ability to work onsite
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you’ll bring to the role:
• B.S. in neuroscience, cell biology, engineering, or a similar discipline with at least 2 years of industry or academic research experience
• 2+ years of experience operating automated lab equipment for cell culture in microplates
• Demonstrated ability to independently operate, maintain and design protocols for automated cell culture
• Experience using liquid handlers, plate washers and acoustic dispensers
• Ability to work productively in a fast-paced environment that requires a high level of communication, collaboration, and organization
• A passion to improve outcomes for patients with diseases of the nervous system
• Master’s degree in relevant discipline
• Experience handling human iPSC-derived neuronal, microglia or other brain-relevant cell types
• Experience with neuroscience drug discovery
• Experience with high content imaging or high throughput assays
• Experience operating robotic arms
• Experience with large biosafety cabinets
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!