6000! That’s the number of associates in the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients. The Pre-Clinical Safety (PCS) group in NIBR provides world class preclinical safety profiling and assessment for optimal drug discovery, development and commercialization, with state-of-the-art regulatory compliance.
The Head of Predictive Safety-Data Science (PS-DS) is responsible for advancing translational safety data science and driving drug development through strong matrix leadership of the PCS (Preclinical Safety) data science community and innovative partnerships with key internal and external stakeholders. The job holder must have significant toxicology and data science expertise, a broad scientific/technology knowledge base, previous experience in leading external and internal scientific collaborations, and the ability to incorporate new scientific insights and internal/external innovation into strategic and practical initiatives.
The PS-DS head is responsible for the effective management and optimal alignment of PCS data exploration skill sets & resources through coordination of internal reviews of PCS line function and portfolio data exploration needs, project oversight, leveraging of key partnerships, and generation of productivity metrics demonstrating portfolio impact.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Drives innovation and strategic planning to build upon translational safety data exploration initiatives in collaboration with the PCS Functional and Portfolio Leadership Teams key internal stakeholders across NIBR and Global Drug Development, Translational Medicine, Therapeutic Areas and Patient Safety), as well as academic institutions, regulatory, and industry partners.
• Partners with the Translational Medicine Data Sciences Steering Committee to ensure alignment with Novartis Digital and Data Science strategy and deliverables.
• Cultivates matrix leadership to positively influence a collaborative culture, facilitate talent development, enable initiatives, and strengthen cross-functional relationships, in particular between PCS data scientists and subject matter experts.
• Builds and coordinates translational safety-focused big data collaborations with internal and external partners
• Collaborates with project/initiative leaders and leadership team members to ensure focus areas and objectives are on track, helps create forums to bring attention to internal and external translational safety data exploration partnership opportunities, and enables key decision-making. Ensures prioritization of projects for maximal portfolio impact and strategic use of resources
• May participate in academic/industry consortia and/or private/public partnership initiatives and/or management boards.
This role can be based in either Basel Switzerland or Cambridge/ East Hanover in the US.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
What you will bring to the role:
• Minimum: DVM, MSc or PhD.
• 5-10 years in drug discovery and development with broad expertise in translational safety data science including health authority interactions & regulatory guidance; direct and matrix people manager; Management of complex data, biology and technology projects.
• High intrinsic motivation to develop novel therapeutics for patients.
• Demonstrated leadership of projects and initiatives across organizational boundaries with focus on impact; experience in working effectively in team and collaborative work environments; ability to manage conflicting expectations and adjusting to team dynamics.
• Competency in defining department strategy and effective execution/operationalizing skills.
• Competency in complex data capture, harmonization, integration, visualization and analytics (including handling of in silico, in vitro, in vivo animal model and patient-derived data).
• Strong change management skills and ability to lead through ambiguity
• Innovative, passionate, displays a strong and consistent sense of urgency with a strong focus on impact. Demonstrates high emotional intelligence and empathy to enable strong connectivity across the organization.
• Experience in generating and presenting project materials, metrics, data, and visuals at management and governance boards.
Why consider Novartis?
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives. We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working. We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Join our Novartis Network:
If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: