Novartis is deeply committed to transforming the lives of people living with solid tumors, blood cancers and serious or life-threatening blood disorders. We believe that anyone living with these conditions has the right to a life free from pain, free from symptoms and free from disease - this is our vision for the future.
In Clinical Development Oncology & Hematology, our aim is to design innovative, patient friendly clinical development plans to rapidly bring outstanding treatments to patients, caregivers and healthcare systems. We are striving to develop treatments for Lung, Breast & Prostate Cancers, MDS & AML, CML and sickle-cell disease, and are pushing the boundaries of innovation with CAR-T and Radioligand therapies.
If you have experience in Oncology or Hematology and would to use your medical expertise to help shape clinical development, please submit your application to join our Clinical Development Medical Director (Associate/Senior) Talent Pool.
Clinical Development Medical Director* (Associate/Senior) 80-100%**
The (Associate/ Senior) Clinical Development Medical Director (CDMD) is responsible for leading the planning and management of the assigned clinical program(s) from an end-to-end clinical development perspective. As (Associate / Senior) CDMD, you will have oversight of the clinical development for the assigned programs and drive execution of the plan. In addition, you will enable an empowered organization, which can navigate in a matrix environment and adjust quickly to business needs.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Providing clinical leadership and strategic medical input for all clinical deliverables in the assigned project or section of a clinical program
• Leading development of clinical sections of trial and program level regulatory documents
• Driving execution of the program and/or clinical trial in partnership with global line functions, assigned Global Trial Directors (GTDs), and regional/country medical associates, where applicable
• Supporting (Senior) Global Program Clinical Head (GPCH) in ensuring overall safety of the molecule for the assigned section, and may act as a core member of the Safety Management Team (SMT), supporting overall program safety reporting in collaboration with Patient Safety colleagues
• Supporting the Clinical Development Head (CDH) by providing medical input into Clinical Development Plan (CDP(, Integrated Development Plan (IDP) and Clinical Trial Protocol (CTP) reviews. and contributing to/driving development of disease clinical standards for new disease areas
• As a medical specialist, supporting the (Sr.) GPCH or CDH in interactions with external and internal partners and decision boards
• May work with NIBR (Novartis Institute of Biomedical Research)/ Translational Medical Sciences) to drive transition of pre-PoC (Proof of Concept) projects to DDP (Development Decision Point) and with BD&L (Business Development & Licensing) including target identification and due diligences together with other medical matters, as needed.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
• MD or equivalent medical degree is required*** in addition to sophisticated knowledge and clinical training in medical/scientific area; Clinical practice experience ≥ 4 years (including residency) preferred
• Fluent oral and written English
• Minimum requirement of years of experience in clinical research or drug development will be commensurate with level: Assoc. CDMD ≥ 3 years, CDMD ≥ 5 years, Snr CDMD ≥ 7 years
• Working knowledge of one of the above listed disease areas is desirable, with a proven track record to interpret, discuss and present efficacy & safety data relating to clinical trial(s)
• Demonstrated ability to establish effective scientific partnerships with key partners
• Solid understanding of GCP, clinical trial design, statistics, and regulatory and clinical development processes
• Previous global people management experience is preferred, though this may include management in a matrix environment.
• Final job title (Associate Clinical Development Medical Director, Band 4 / Clinical Development Medical Director, Band 3 / Senior Clinical Medical Development Director, Band 3) and associated responsibilities will be commensurate with the successful candidates’ level of expertise.
**Some restrictions to flexible working models may apply and will be discussed at interview if applicable
*** For PharmD & PhD qualified applicants, please refer to our posting for Clinical Development Director, position number 323877BR
Why consider Novartis?
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network