Principal Scientist - Radiochemist (80-100%)*
Principal Scientist - Radiochemist (80-100%)*
Job Description6000! That’s the number of associates in the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients.
At Novartis we are reimagining medicine to improve and extend people's lives. We use innovative science and technology to address some of society's most challenging healthcare issues. We discover and develop breakthrough treatments and find new ways to deliver them to as many people as possible. How can we continue to advance our science to help patients in need? We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous, and collaborative people are empowered to ask new questions, make bolder decisions, and take smarter risks.
In Global Discovery Chemistry (GDC) at the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR) in Basel, Switzerland, we are at the core of Novartis’ purpose. We are looking for a highly motivated, passionate researcher with a strong scientific background in radiochemistry or related life science discipline, a curious mind-set, and cultural agility to invent innovative medicines and advance the frontiers of drug discovery. Join us and help reimagine medicine!
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Collaboratively work in a multidisciplinary project team to discover and develop novel Radioligand therapies in the oncology disease area.
• Carry out cutting-edge research in the areas of radiochemistry and radioisotope-based therapies. You will be developing and validating radiosynthesis protocols for new Ga-68 diagnostic and Lu-177 therapeutic radiopharmaceuticals.
• Propose, evaluate, interpret and validate new radiolabeling procedures with radioisotopes including the use of automation and advanced formulation development.
• Experiment in a state-of-the-art radiochemistry laboratory infrastructure, deploy novel technologies, and collaborate with internal and external partners around the world to progress our projects.
• Quality control for identity and quantification of RLT conjugates by High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), Radio Thin Layer Chromatography (R-TLC), Liquid Chromatography/mass spectrometry (LCMS) and Size Exclusion Chromatography (SEC) in the radiochemistry lab environment.
• Implement radiation safety regulations (e.g. trainings, dosimetry, release of radioactive wastes)
• Mentor, coach, and develop a dynamic team of scientific associates
• Discuss and communicate scientific results at project/group meetings, decision boards, and external conferences
• Contribute to patent inventorship and scientific publications
• In addition to pipeline project responsibilities, participate in global initiatives shaping the future of drug discovery at NIBR
Minimum requirementsWhat you will bring to the role:
• A PhD in chemistry or related life science discipline with specialist knowledge in radiochemistry
• Strong hands-on background in radiochemistry including metal labelling (e.g. Ga-68, Lu-177) of peptides and proteins. Prior exposure to F-18 and Ac-225 radiochemistry would be an asset
• Demonstrated track-record of initiating, leading, or being a key contributor to cutting edge research in chemistry or life sciences
• A mind-set of curiosity, creativity, collaboration and openness to diverse thinking, with an enthusiasm to develop yourself and others
• Ability to critically interpret results, build new experimental hypotheses, and take calculated risks and smart decisions
• Passion for hands-on chemistry experimentation in the laboratory
• Interest in disruptive technologies and science trends, such as data science and automation/miniaturization, and their application to drug discovery
• Aptitude to work in a fast-paced team-oriented matrix environment
• Excellent oral and written communication and strong influencing skills
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That’s how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
* Some restrictions on flexible working options may apply and will be discussed during interview if applicable.
Join our Novartis Network:
If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: