Executive Director, Discovery Technologies
Executive Director, Discovery Technologies
Job Description6000! That’s the number of associates in the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients.
As the Executive Director, Discovery Technologies, you will support the global Novartis biologics portfolio and the corresponding outsourcing from discovery to IND submissions. You will oversee and be accountable for delivering antibody or other binding formats for all NIBR based therapeutic biologics projects and developing technology to maintain state of the art in the field, lead and deliver on radio-ligand therapeutics in collaboration with Oncology with a focus on biologics. You will have high agility and knowledge of problem-solving techniques as well as the leadership skills to influence and inform scientific decisions at senior management, cross-functional or external meetings.
What you’ll be doing:
Leading a team of 50 scientist in discovery (based in Switzerland and the US), generation and optimization approaches for antibodies and alternative binder formats enabling multiple mode-of-actions.
• Experience in the use of automation to enable biologics discovery
• Provide strategic scientific input to support projects in multiple disease areas, act as NBC interface to Disease Areas (DA) as representative on DA Decision Boards
• Lead the decision-making process for establishing program goals and guide their accomplishment
• Demonstrate strong leadership behavior and ability to influence in a matrix environment, and collaborate with associates in cross functional teams.
• Act as part of the NBC leadership team to represent and support overall biotherapeutics strategy and goals
• Building the next generation of leaders through coaching on scientific and (inter)personal skills.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Minimum requirementsWhat you'll bring to the role
• Completion of a Post-Doctoral fellowship with 10 + years’ experience in a drug discovery or other related research laboratory
• Demonstrate a broad and in-depth understanding of the scientific field of responsibility for developing bio-pharmaceuticals from discovery to early clinical trials
• Highly authoritative in area of expertise, recognized both internally and externally with a proven track record on multiple projects providing leadership in solving specific project/technical issues
• Experience leading a mid-size research group with the ability to build and lead high-performing teams; communicate transparently and effectively
• Team player, flexible in a changing environment; resilient, energetic and enthusiastic; responding constructively to challenging new ideas and input
• Serve as a role model for credibility, quality, integrity, and sound judgment
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here:
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!