Senior Scientist I, AAV Protein Purification
Senior Scientist I, AAV Protein Purification
Job Description6000! That’s the number of associates in the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on powerful new approaches that will help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients. 900+ clinical trials! That is why gene therapies are transforming the practice of medicine.
As a Senior Scientist, you will have an opportunity to join the NIBR Biologics Center (NBC) and be at the cutting edge, leading the development of innovative medicines that can improve lives of patients.
You will join the Bio-therapeutic Engineering and Gene Therapy (BEGT) group within NBC in Cambridge, Massachusetts. NBC builds the biologics pipeline in collaboration with NIBR Disease Areas and Platforms via a breadth of technologies. The BEGT group drives a diverse portfolio of AAV gene therapy. Through innovative viral engineering as well as rational protein design, the BEGT group works collaboratively with disease area groups to broaden the use of AAV gene therapy into therapeutic applications where conventional therapies have limitations.
What you’ll be doing:
• Work collaboratively within a global team to advance rAAV downstream activities in support of innovative gene therapy platform.
• Independently conceive and execute experiments that implement rAAV downstream purification strategy and test new techniques.
• Provide input to operational and/or strategic discussions related to rAAV production.
• Maintain effective communication within a cross-functional team.
• Execute a wide variety assays using analytical equipment to support characterization of rAAV productions.
• Develop and support cell-based assays to characterize rAAV and transgene expression.
• Present experimental results internally to multi-disciplinary teams.
• Maintain excellent electronic laboratory notebook that records all aspects of experimental design and results, following good documentation practices.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Minimum requirementsWhat you’ll bring to the role:
• M.S. degree in Chemical Engineering, Biology or related field with a minimum of 3 years of experience in AAV production or biologics purification or B.S. degree in Chemical Engineering, Biology or related field with minimum of 5 years of experience in AAV production or biologics purification.
• In-depth knowledge and experience with protein chromatography systems and software.
• Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
• Hands-on experience with centrifugation, and process solutions for ultrafiltration, diafiltration, and concentration.
• Technical expertise handling AAV/protein purification at different scales.
Competitive salary, annual bonus, pension scheme, share scheme, health insurance, 25 days annual leave, flexible working arrangements, subsidized dining facilities, employee recognition scheme and learning and development opportunities as well.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Novartis is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here:
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!