Senior Scientist I, Protein Production
Senior Scientist I, Protein Production
Job Description6000! That’s the number of associates in the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients. The Biologics Center (NBC) is housed within the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). NBC, in collaboration with the disease areas and other platform groups, builds the future biologics therapy pipeline of Novartis through the discovery and creation of new antibody, protein, nucleic acid and virus-based molecules.
We have an opportunity for a Research Scientist, Protein Production to join our team in Cambridge, MA. You will conduct and interpret a diverse set of biochemical and analytical experiments to produce and characterize novel biologics, including MS, SEC and other characterization techniques frequently used in the preclinical development of molecules.
What you’ll be doing:
• Constructs expression vectors for protein expression (mainly for mammalian cells)
• Expression of antibodies, antibody fragments and protein in transient HEK293, transient and stable CHO cells
• Purification of antibodies, antibody fragments and proteins using various chromatographic processes
• Characterization of proteins and antibody fragments and antibodies for quality control and generation of certificate of analysis
• Carry out small to large scale cell culture (up to 100L) for protein expression using transient and stable mammalian cells
• Purification of antibodies and proteins using various chromatographic techniques with subsequent quality control
• Generates hypotheses to test, troubleshoots issues and designs and executes the next set of experiments with some input from senior lab members/manager
• Detailed documentation of results, present research updates and participate constructively in working project teams and at lab meetings
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Minimum requirementsWhat you’ll bring to the role:
• MS in Biological Sciences or Chemistry with a minimum of 3 years of experience in protein expression and purification, preferably including antibody technology (pharmaceutical industry background a plus) or BS with a minimum of 5 years of equivalent experience.
• Background in recombinant protein and antibody expression and purification as well as biophysical characterization of proteins and antibodies; experience with low endotoxin protein production is required.
• Expertise in transient transfections and in stable cell line development and FACS analysis is desirable.
• Molecular biology knowledge and associated analysis tools is desirable.
Physical Requirements: Occasional lifting of 20-25L
Competitive salary, annual bonus, pension scheme, share scheme, health insurance, 25 days annual leave, flexible working arrangements, subsidized dining facilities, employee recognition scheme and learning and development opportunities as well.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Novartis is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!