Vivarium Operations Associate I
Vivarium Operations Associate I
Job Description160+ That’s the number of projects currently in in clinical development.
Vivarium Operations (VO), as a function of Comparative Medicine (CM), provides high quality animal care to laboratory animals enrolled in studies within 14 disease area teams within Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients.
VO is looking for an experienced and professional animal care and vivarium operations position responsible for supporting research by providing high quality & consistent animal care/husbandry, vivarium operational service support and ensuring compliance with regulatory standards within a multi-building, multi-discipline research program. In addition to animal care, this position coordinates staff activities/projects as it relates to specific associate & program responsibilities.
What you'll be doing:
• Primarily responsible for daily husbandry to animals (predominantly rodents, some small mammal USDA, and zebrafish), clinical observations, maintenance of the animal facilities (sanitation of animal rooms & equipment), receipt of incoming animals & supplies, maintenance of relevant facility records, fulfilling research requests, animal transfers and relocations.
• Proactively meet and exceed customer service expectations
• Routinely responsible for ensuring compliance/response with all institutional and regulatory protocols, policies, and guidelines.
• Identify process inefficiencies, streamline processes, and proactively develop solutions to operational issues
• Responsible for pursing continuous learning/professional development opportunities and enhancing/expanding skill set as time allows.
• Driven by the needs of our scientific partner/collaborator, limited routine technical procedures on animals may also be assigned.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Minimum requirementsWhat you'll bring to the role;
• GED or High School degree required, 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology, 4-year Science degree, or a combination of experience with higher education desirable but not required
• Provide and ensure consistent and high quality on-site animal care and vivarium maintenance
• Team oriented and interactive, Strong attention to completion of tasks in an efficient/consistent manner
• Ensure compliance with all internal and external regulatory agencies in accordance with the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals
•Strong communication skills (written and verbal required, presentation desirable)
•Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Outlook, and database use
•Able to lift 50 lbs and move heavy objects
•Work from a standing position for prolonged periods and perform repetitive motion tasks
•Able to work weekends and holidays
• ALAT Certification desirable or pursued after start.
• Strong knowledge of federal, state, local (Animal Welfare) laws and departmental SOPs, Thorough understanding and comprehension of operational standards, processes, equipment, etc. as they relate to operational responsibilities.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That’s how many lives our products touch. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!