Scientist / Senior Scientist
Scientist / Senior Scientist
Job Description6000! That’s the number of associates in the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients. The Novartis Biologics Center (NBC) discovers and develops biologic therapeutics to treat unmet medical needs in all of Novartis’s disease areas – oncology, autoimmune, respiratory and cardiovascular diseases.
We are in search of a collaborative and inquisitive Scientist with experience in biologics discovery to join our team. In this role, you will have direct experience in antibody characterization by surface plasmon resonance (Biacore or ProteOn), binding characterization by other approaches (Fortebio, Kinexa) flow cytometry, LigandTracer and functional assay development (ELISA). You will collaborate with other scientists to characterize and identify lead molecules as biotherapeutic drugs candidates.
What you’ll be doing:
• Design Biacore methods including direct immobilization and capture formats to assess protein-protein interactions
• Analyze and interpret Biacore data with the ability to draw own conclusions in alignment with project initiatives
• Work in other binding technologies to assess soluble protein-protein interactions (e.g. ProteOn, Fortebio), mammalian cell culture and cellular binding technologies to characterize antibody molecules binding to cells (e.g. Kinexa, LigandTracer)and protein analytical techniques including SDS-PAGE, Western blotting to QC protein reagents
• Collaborate in research teams where data needs to be clearly compiled in a slide deck and effectively presented to the team
• Generates hypotheses to test, troubleshoots issues, designs and executes the next set of experiments with some input from senior lab members
• Provides basic data analysis to interpret own experiments - assesses whether experimental hypothesis was appropriately tested and answered.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Minimum requirementsWhat you will bring to the role
• B.S. in Biology, Chemistry or Pharmacology, with 3+ years of relevant industry experience in invitro binding and potent studies (ELISA and or SPR); M.S. with 1+ year(s) of relevant experience in invitro binding and potent studies (ELISA and or SPR)
• Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR) and binding studies
• Strong, working knowledge of label free assays and technologies, SPR or BLI
Competitive salary, annual bonus, pension scheme, share scheme, health insurance, 25 days annual leave, flexible working arrangements, subsidized dining facilities, employee recognition scheme and learning and development opportunities as well.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Novartis is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here:
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!