Research Scientist, Hematology
Research Scientist, Hematology
Job Description1 in 4 people! That’s the prevalence worldwide of people affected with a benign hematological disorder.
Do you want to be a part of early discovery projects that can ultimately impact the treatments for these hematological diseases? The Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR) is the innovation engine of Novartis focusing on powerful technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients.
The exploratory Disease Area X (DAx) department at NIBR is looking for a highly motivated Research Scientist to join our team in developing innovative small molecule, cell and gene therapies for Sickle Cell Disease. DAx is a highly dynamic and collaborative drug discovery department that interfaces novel biology and innovative new modalities with pre-clinical development and translational medicine.
Your Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Engaging with a cross-functional team to advance novel therapeutic concepts from inception to early clinical development
- Working collaboratively with others to develop project strategy, identify key drug discovery questions and propose and implement creative solutions
- Conducting early research (therapeutic concept evaluation, assay development and optimization using molecular, cellular and animal studies) to develop therapies for sickle cell disease
- Thorough experimental documentation, data analysis and presentation
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Minimum requirementsWhat You'll Bring to the Role:
- BS or MS with at least 2 years of full-time technical experience in Cellular or Molecular Biology, Hematology or Immunology. Title and compensation will be commensurate with experience.
- Enthusiasm for deploying both in vitro and in vivo methods to uncover new biology and advance medicines
- Flow cytometry experience
- Animal-handling experience
- Proficiency in molecular cloning, protein analyses and real-time PCR
- Proficiency in cell culture, transfection and transduction methods
- Self-motivation, ability to work independently, enthusiasm for working in an interdisciplinary, collaborative research environment.
- Creative problem-solving skills.
- Excellent analytical, communication and organizational skills.
- Hematopoietic stem cell and/or primary blood cell expertise
- Drug discovery experience
- Publication record preferred.
Why Consider Novartis?
799 million. That’s how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
Imagine What You Could do at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.