Patent & Scientific Analyst (80-100%)*
Patent & Scientific Analyst (80-100%)*
Job DescriptionInterested in joining 5,600! associates at six locations collaborating across 9! scientific and organizational boundaries, with a focus on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients?
The Research and Development Intellectual Property (R&D IP) department of the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR) is recruiting a passionate Biotechnology Patent and Scientific Analyst to join the Search and Analytics Team located at our research site in Basel, Switzerland.
You will join a global team of information professionals responsible for conducting comprehensive search and analysis of technical information in support of our research activities, patent application, prosecution cases, and business development activities. Your primary responsibility will be to provide search and analysis to support patentability, freedom to operate, and validity analysis for in house patent practitioners. Furthermore, you will be able to support current awareness initiatives across NIBR globally.
• Conduct patent search and analysis, resulting in the delivery of timely, valuable search reports, based on in-house established protocols
• Create and maintain a strategic partnership with key partners in NIBR
• Conduct patent landscape studies for our NIBR colleagues by establishing solid working relationship and collaboration
• Participate in and lead projects to improve NIBR Search and Analytics team services and products
• Attend internal and external meetings, conferences and courses
Minimum requirementsWhat you bring to the role:
• University degree in Biology, Molecular Biology or related scientific field
• Novice searching experience, including patent, pharmaceutical, biological sequence searching and understanding of drug development process
• Demonstrated proficiency in conducting comprehensive and focused patent searches (e.g., patentability, freedom-to-operate)
• Experience using online databases (e.g. Scifinder, GenomeQuest, STN, CAS Registry/HCAPlus, Derwent Geneseq, Derwent World Patent Index) Internet resources (e.g. Patbase, Ovid) and specialized information tools such as BIZINT
• Strong customer-service focus to build and sustain good working partnerships with key partners. Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a team. Strong organizational and time management skills.
• Passion and interest in patents and information. Effective analytical, presentation and communication skills. Flexible with excellent attention to detail
• Fluency in English
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That’s how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
*Some restrictions on flexible working options may apply and will be discussed during interview if applicable.
Join our Novartis Network:
If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: