Cheminformatics Data Scientist
Cheminformatics Data Scientist
Job Description250! That’s the number of data scientists leading a digital revolution at the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research.
We are looking for a highly motivated data scientist to leverage deep learning and cheminformatics to enable our early drug discovery portfolio. As a domain specialist, you will collaborate closely with an innovative global team of in silico drug hunters in the Chemical Biology & Therapeutics Data Science (CBT DS) group at Novartis Institutes for Biochemical Research (NIBR).
You will also be part of a larger, global Data Science team with expertise in bioinformatics, computational biology, screening analytics, data engineering and predictive modeling, that combine expertise to gain a molecular understanding of disease etiology, to identify novel targets and chemical matter, assess preclinical model translation relevance and patient population heterogeneity. The team’s mission is to impact early stage drug discovery and advance biomedical research using innovative computational approaches with emphasis on data stewardship for predictive science. Together we are the brokers between data and the next wet-lab experiment.
This is a unique opportunity in an interdisciplinary environment at the intersection of chemical biology, genomics, biophysics, cheminformatics, and molecular modeling.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Champion in the group for current methods in deep learning.
• Develop novel deep learning workflows and apply them to lead discovery projects.
• Design, implement, and maintain robust methods, algorithms, and packages (python, R) that help the computational community solve old and new problems with ease.
• Ideate and implement visualizations, dashboards & webservices for data dissemination to computational peers as well as to non-computational collaborators.
• Engage as a collaborative member of the broader CBT Data Science community.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Minimum requirementsWhat You'll Bring to the Role:
• Background in Computational Science and either Chemistry or Chemical Biology
• Excellent scripting skills in both R and python, demonstrated ability to develop & deploy packages/modules for end users; proficiency in Linux, git, SQL and relevant software packages (such as RDKit) are essential.
• Algorithmic/computational understanding of efficiently dealing with small and large sets of heterogeneous data.
• Experience with sophisticated machine learning techniques (deep learning, generative chemistry, etc)
• Familiarity with biological data of relevance for drug discovery and an ability to communicate it with broad audiences
• Experience with cheminformatics (similarity searching, SAR analysis, chemogenomics data mining) and compound-protein structure modeling
• Excellent scientific communication skills and effective data visualization skills
• Proficiency in written and oral English with very strong presentation and ‘story-telling’ skills
• Higher education degree in a relevant field, or equivalent years of experience (mathematics, computer science, bioinformatics, physics, biology, chemistry, etc.)
• A publication history demonstrating a track record of innovation in cheminformatics and deep learning
• Familiarity with Spotfire
• Familiarity with automated code testing and continuous integration/continuous deployment (CI/CD) platforms such as for example Jenkins
• Experience in developing web based user interfaces
• Experience with database design, query and administration
• Experience developing web service, API
• Good understanding of IT infrastructure and software lifecycle management
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That’s how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.