Associate Director, Data Curation and Ontologies
Associate Director, Data Curation and Ontologies
Job DescriptionPlease note that a dual recruitment approach is put in place for this role as it can be either based in Cambridge, MA or Basel, Switzerland.
6,000! This is how many scientists and physicians around the world use our data to reimagine medicine and create therapies that save lives.
Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR) is the global pharmaceutical research organization of Novartis with a mission to discover innovative medicines that treat disease and human health.
With NIBR Informatics (NX), NIBR is making a strategic investment into informatics capabilities and is positioning itself to deliver the systems and services that are critical to the future of drug discovery.
The Information Products and Data Sciences (IPDS) group in NX is driven to maximize the impact and value to NIBR of software and data. We deliver powerful, functional, beautiful, and integrated software solutions that create a frictionless user experience. Our organization is here to build and apply excellence in product and data management to further Novartis drug discovery.
In IPDS, you will be responsible for the selection, internalization, or creation and maintenance of controlled vocabularies, taxonomies and ontologies for scientific domains. You will develop semantic models to increase the value and scientific impact of NIBR data.
As a member of the Ontology and Curation team, you will raise awareness of the value of integrated, consistent, and compatible data and metadata while educating users about the value and proper use of ontologies. You will work closely with Curation experts, supporting them by providing context-specific vocabularies and dictionaries to be used by applications and text mining services.
This role requires expertise in ontology authoring and engineering, Informatics and/or Informatics Systems with a good knowledge of Research.
• As a key functional specialist you will create and maintain or select and internalize controlled vocabularies, taxonomies and ontologies using semantic web technologies and linked data principles in multiple areas
• Design and drive the implementation of automated extraction, conversion and/or aggregation of data from selected sources to build terminology and ontology content
• Manage, advise and coordinate the activities of a team of experienced specialists contributing to ontology authoring and engineering
• Provide dictionaries derived from controlled vocabularies and terminologies to support text mining tools and services
• Determine methods and procedures to apply data governance principles to manage ontologies and to guaranty high quality and data consistency across versions
• Design, provide expert advice, and drive implementation of a solution to enable contextual usage of ontologies and facilitate requests for ontology enrichment and/or ontology composition within scientific products
• Interact with NIBR scientists, business analysts, and product owners to help integrating appropriate ontologies
• Drive development and use of underlying ontology services
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Minimum requirementsWhat will you bring to the role?
• Master’s degree in medicine, chemistry, biology or related field
• 5+ years of relevant experience in semantic technologies, ontology management, data management within drug discovery or a core supporting field
• Expertise in Ontological authoring & engineering e.g. ontology development process, ontology life cycle, methodologies and tools such as CENtree (SciBite), PoolParty (Semantic Web Company) and with existing biomedical ontologies and data standards (MeSH, CDISC, MedDRA, SNOMED CT, etc.)
• Broad knowledge of semantic web standards (RDF, SKOS, OWL, OBO, SPARQL, SHAQL) as well as linked data principles
• Competence in linguistics, natural language processing, text analytics, data mining or text processing
• Ability to query data management systems of different kind: RDBMS, NoSQL, Graph databases
• Knowledge of web technologies and programming languages
What you will receive in return?
Competitive salary, annual bonus, long term incentive for select levels, health insurance, paid vacation/holidays, potential flexible working arrangements, subsidized dining facilities, employee recognition scheme.
Why consider Novartis?
750 million. That’s how many lives our products touch. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us re-imagine medicine.