Lead Medical Director Atherosclerosis
Lead Medical Director Atherosclerosis
Job DescriptionLead Medical Director Atherosclerosis
Over 22 Million adults in the US are affected by atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease and by 2030, half of all Americans will have some form of cardiovascular disease. Novartis has been at the forefront of Cardiovascular treatment for decades, delivering groundbreaking medicines that extend and improve life.
The Lead Medical Director Atherosclerosis will serve as one of several medical directors working on a compound within the Cardiovascular, Renal & Metabolism (CRM) Medical Unit (MU) and other in-line CRM products. The Lead Medical Director will provide critical input into strategic planning, tactical planning and implementation, as well as budget planning. The Lead Medical Director will also drive strong collaboration and co-leadership of the product with Global, US Medical, US Marketing, and US Sales colleagues. Specific responsibilities will include execution of clinical trials in heart failure, leadership of advisory boards and other meetings with Medical Experts, development of the data generation plan and Medical communications strategy/implementation, conducting field force training, active participation in promotional material development and review, and various internal and external presentations.
• Demonstrate solid competencies as a Medical Leader within the US Clinical Development & Medical Affairs organization. Build positive, effective partnerships with Medical and Commercial as well as US and Global colleagues.
• Partner with the Integrated Product Team (IPT), which drives product strategy
• Key member of the cross-functional Medical Tactical Team (MTT), which drives Medical tactical development and excellence in execution.
• Co-develop strategically aligned study programs with Heath Economics & Outcomes Research (HE&OR) colleagues.
• Work effectively with secondary data analytics team.
• Provide secondary support of Investigator-Initiated Trial (IIT) program.
• Actively explore, plan, and implement innovative communications solutions
Major Accountabilities including through digital channels – in order to address strategic and scientific gaps.
• Co-develop a strong medical engagement plan with team, incorporating diverse Medical functions and capabilities.
• Foster strong relationships with not only National, but also key Regional and Local Medical Experts, including Investigators. Support Medical Expert Engagement Strategy.
• Drive advisory boards and work closely with Field Medical on insight-gathering initiatives.
• Develop positive and effective relationships with Global colleagues.
• Collaborate with Marketing and Sales colleagues in promotional material development and review, field force training, etc.
This position requires frequent global and domestic travel (15-20% annually, up to 30% seasonally).
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Minimum requirementsPosition to be filled at level commensurate with experience. (may be hired at the medical director/lead medical director levels)
An MD, DO, Pharm D, or PhD degree preferred. Board Certification/Eligibility is preferred.
Medical Director: 3+ years' of pharmaceutical industry experience preferred; Lead Medical Director: 5+ years' of pharmaceutical industry experience preferred.
• Prior experience as a Medical Affairs Director is preferred.
• Robust experience conducting clinical trials and firm working knowledge of GCP, scientific and clinical methodology, protocol design, project management and regulatory requirements for Phase II-IV clinical studies.
• Excellent understanding of the principles underlying HE&OR data generation. Ability to develop study concepts, design studies, and support protocols in collaboration with the HE&OR function.
• Ability to think “beyond the data,” incorporating a larger set of considerations, including not only HCP but also payer/patient needs.
• Proactive, hands-on approach.
• Action-oriented. Able to “get things done” within the organization.
• Valuing collaboration and teamwork over self-interest.
• Possessing a spirit of confidence and self-reliance, able to express key perspectives in a way that is succinct and compelling to others.
• Effectiveness in problem-solving within a large, multi-faceted corporate environment. Able to drive solutions that not only bear upon Medical, but also Commercial concerns.
• Solid negotiation skills, able to achieve alignment among a wide variety of stakeholders with differing priorities.
• Active and enthusiastic participation in Medical-Legal-Regulatory review of promotional as well as non-promotional communications.
• Reputation as an open, available and transparent communicator.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Able to nurture strong, positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
• Ability to work independently in fast paced environment.
• Excellent project management and organizational skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Flexible work arrangements may be possible.
You’ll receive flexible working, learning and development opportunities as well.
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That’s how many lives our products touch. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network