Director, Strategy - Global Oncology
Director, Strategy - Global Oncology
Job Description799 million. That’s how many lives our products touched in 2018.
At Novartis we are reimagining medicine to address some of society’s most challenging healthcare issues. We discover and develop breakthrough treatments and find new ways to deliver them to as many people as possible. We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you are given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you are empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks. And where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
The Director, Strategy in the Global Oncology team is has primary responsibility to lead and manage cross-functional strategic projects sponsored by Oncology President / OLT members including:
• Top Oncology projects as defined by the Oncology President or OLT members
• Global annual Strategic Planning, Disease Area Strategy / Portfolio review processes
• Identification / assessment of major business opportunities (internal and external) with potential for major impact on Novartis’ 5-year and 10 year growth / profitability
• Lead assessment and due diligence of major M&A opportunities as well as potential integration planning efforts
• Lead and manage key organizational initiatives
• Ad hoc requests from President and OLT on key issues
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Lead / manage strategic projects for Novartis Oncology as defined by the President or OLT members (as assigned)
• Lead and manage cross functional teams to successful execution with clear top or bottom line impact in near and long-term -Ensure projects which use external management consultants are well managed and viewed as successful
• Prepare recommendations / present updates to the OLT on various projects
• Support company wide annual Strategic Planning and Disease Area Strategy / Portfolio review process Lead company wide Strategic plan process including defining targets, collaborating with BU/BF’s, Finance, Development, BD&L and CPOs as well as Group and conceiving/executing Oncology Strategic Plan summary submission
• Lead global Disease Area Strategy/Portfolio review including coordinating BU/BF’s, Development, BD&L and ensuring appropriate prioritization of Development, BD&L, M&A projects / opportunities − Identify and assess major business opportunities (internal and external) with potential for major impact on Novartis’ 5-year and 10 year growth and profitability
• Identify and evaluate opportunities which could significantly impact Novartis growth and profitability −Work with Oncology OLT to assess opportunities
• Prepare recommendations and present updates to the OLT -Deliver on ad hoc requests from President on key issues
• Lead ad-hoc analyses / project as requested
• Support other group activities as necessary (e.g. company assessments, IQP project, competition intelligence efforts, implementation of ongoing projects)
• Help to ensure appropriate level of recruiting activity to sustain rotation of talents to commercial
• Help to maintain high caliber of the group through active recruiting and development/coaching
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Minimum requirements• Education: Bachelor's Degree is required in relevant area, advanced degree preferred, plus extensive healthcare experience
• At least 5 years of experience in healthcare discipline, strategy consulting or Oncology company with global understanding of Oncology business and industry, across various disciplines/functions (e.g., commercial/ marketing & sales, payors, providers, and development). Preferred 2 years minimum in management consulting.
• Strong skills in managing cross-functional (strategic) projects with significant business impact
• Significant experience in senior stakeholder management, and in effectively engaging and managing associates from widely varying backgrounds & functions within a complex matrix organization
• Proven ability to influence without authority
• Strategic management consulting background (e.g., McKinsey, BCG, Bain, LEK, etc.) with experience in project and team management within these firms
• Significant commercial experience in major Oncology companies e.g., though impactful marketing & sales roles
Competitive salary, annual bonus, long term incentive for select levels, health insurance, paid vaca-tion/holidays, potential flexible working arrangements, subsidized dining facilities, employee recognition scheme.
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us re-imagine medicine.