Cheminformatics Expert (80-100%*)
Cheminformatics Expert (80-100%*)
Job Description6500! That’s the number of associates in the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients.
We are seeking a unique cheminformatics expert with the skills, experience and passion to transform the combination of chemical and biological information into new knowledge and disruptive insights. You will be a member of our global Computer-Aided Drug Discovery (CADD) group, an interdisciplinary team of expert molecular modelers, cheminformaticians, and data scientists. In this role, you will work with and guide other domain experts to develop and improve novel as well as classical cheminformatics and data science approaches. You will also embedded into drug discovery teams to uncover insights to real-world drug discovery problems and innovate paths to new medicines.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
• Develop tools and workflows for conducting comparative analysis among Novartis’ diverse data sources as well as generalizing and speeding up cheminformatics and CADD approaches developed in-house as well as externally.
• Implement methods for extracting patterns and correlations from both internal and external data sources using cheminformatics toolkits
• Enable open-source solutions (databases, toolkits and methods) for internal use and implement cutting-edge published scientific methods.
• Interact with interdisciplinary project teams to drive effective decision-making by mining of predictive models
• Work as part of a global group of cheminformatics experts and data scientists and guide local experts to execute on the global digital strategy
• Keep ahead of scientific literature and interact with internal and external scientists to integrate novel data science technologies
Minimum requirementsWhat you'll bring to the role:
• Advanced degree (M.Sc. or higher) in cheminformatics, computer sciences, mathematics, computational chemistry, computational biology, bioinformatics, data science and machine learning, statistics
• Fluent in English
• Proven track-record to work with and develop modern and classical cheminformatics methods and in depth experience with open-source cheminformatics toolkits such as RDKit
• Strong programming experience (preferred Python, R, C++) preferably in Linux and high-performance computing environments
• Hands on experience with web services, database integration and the integration of open-source code to produce solutions in a global enterprise environment ranging from fast prototyping to production quality level
• Provided leadership for ad-hoc data analysis, visualization and statistical support in different areas of the drug discovery process and experience to closely interact with and understand scientific software engineers and other experts in the fields of computer science
Why consider Novartis?
750 million. That’s how many lives our products touch. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine
*Some restrictions on flexible working options may apply and will be discussed during interview if applicable.