MRI Research Investigator
MRI Research Investigator
Job DescriptionIn 2018 Novartis was ranked the #1 most innovative biotech company by Fast Company.
Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR) is looking for an outstanding MRI scientist to manage a preclinical imaging laboratory that will develop/implement MRI methods to characterize disease model phenotypes, understand drug treatment effects (MoAs, target engagement, efficacy), and support drug discovery programs for multiple therapeutic applications.
The scientist will collaborate with multidisciplinary teams across disease areas including neuroscience, cardiovascular disease, oncology, musculoskeletal disease, ophthalmology, and respiratory disease to develop quantitative imaging assays and image analysis strategies. A broad theoretical and practical knowledge of preclinical MR imaging methods for these indications is required, as well as meticulous record-keeping and excellent communication to align on priorities across teams. The scientist is expected to provide proactive advocacy to project teams as well as continuous portfolio-level prioritization to meet shifting deadlines.
Responsibilities will also include performing or supervising in vivo MR experiments, analyzing and integrating related data, summarizing results for reporting and publication, presenting results at team meetings, and daily operations of the laboratory. The scientist will also interact closely with clinical Imaging teams to develop relevant translatable endpoints.
• Manage MRI lab operations including equipment purchases and maintenance, compliance with corporate and government regulations and safety requirements, and communication with facility staff and collaborators
• Provide expert advice on study methods and design to support individual project team objectives and ensure high-quality and impactful results
• Train scientists to conduct imaging experiments, and analyze and interpret data; Provide hands-on laboratory assistance as required
• Proactively implement novel methods as needed to support projects at various stages
• Write and maintain Animal Research Protocols for internal IACUC
• Record, interpret and present results in written and oral formats
• Work with clinical imaging experts to ensure best possible translation between preclinical and clinical methods
• Seek training and continuing education to be at the forefront of preclinical imaging science and methodologies, including statistical analyses
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Minimum requirements• PhD in MRI Physics, Biomedical Engineering or a related discipline with extensive MRI experience and at least 3 years training in preclinical in vivo imaging. Or MS with 7-10 years’ relevant experience
• Knowledge of Drug Discovery & Development will be a plus
• Ability to manage multiple portfolio projects simultaneously
• Study design and implementation, routine troubleshooting of system hardware/software
• Experience with advanced image analysis techniques including image registration techniques and machine learning approaches
o Candidates should have strong programming skills (e.g., Matlab, Java, C++)
o Familiarity with Linux and pulse programming
• Experience with MR spectroscopy is advantageous
• Practical application of statistical analysis techniques
• Proficiency in working with small animals
• Fluency in English and good people skills to interface with project teams and manage laboratory scientists