Histology Associate Scientist
Histology Associate Scientist
Job Description817 million. That’s how many lives our products touched in 2018. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this - how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives? You can help by joining our research efforts at Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research here in Cambridge, MA.
Here at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research (NIBR), the histology team is one of many supporting technologies in the pursuit of therapeutic breakthroughs for patients.
We use new and exciting techniques and technologies in the world of Pathology to validate projects in the pipeline.
The DAx group is looking for an innovative, motivated and skilled scientist to join our team.
• Performing standard histology procedures including tissue processing, embedding, sectioning, staining and image capture of fresh, frozen and paraffin-embedded tissues and cell lines
• Developing histochemical assays using various modalities including commercially and engineered antibodies, antibody mimetics and nucleic acids.
• Perform routine IHC analysis using automated and/or manual platforms.
• Generate frozen or paraffin-embedded tissue sections for use in ISH, IHC and standard histopathology analyses
• Performing microscopy image analysis and processing.
• The candidate is expected to pro-actively interact with project teams and collaborators to work out experimental plans, prepare a report and present their results
• In addition, the candidate should coordinate activities, establish best practice and align/share tools and capabilities with other team members and respective skill-based groups within Novartis
• Displays competence in the operation, calibration and troubleshooting of all laboratory instrumentation routinely employed. Assists in the maintenance of laboratory inventories and equipment. May assist in the validation of new methodologies and instrumentation as needed.
• May assist in method development.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Minimum requirementsWhat you will bring to the role:
• B.S. degree in molecular biology, clinical pathology or related fields and at least 3-5 years of professional experience
• Demonstrated expertise in cell- and tissue-based assays including histology, in situ hybridization, immunohistochemistry, fluorescence applications and microscopy.
• Expertise in standard histological techniques and routine IHC is required.
• Knowledge of microtomy, tissue-processing, microscopy, image analysis is desirable.
• Experience with automated equipment is desirable.
• Experience working with animal tissue is desirable.
• Thorough computer literacy (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) are required.
• Fluency in English (oral and written) is required
General Abilities, Knowledge, and Skills :
• Project/Task oriented with excellent attention to detail
• Excellent organization and time management skills
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Positive, energetic, disciplined and results-oriented
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.