Job Description6500! That’s the number of associates in the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR)! This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients.
Biotransformation is a key discipline within Pharmacokinetic Sciences (PKS) driving the pivotal development of small molecules and new modalities like drug-protein conjugates, oligonucleotides and peptides from preclinical Discovery into human up to annual regulatory filings. Are you looking to build and grow your leadership opportunities?
We are looking for a PhD-level scientist with experience in metabolic profiling and data science to join our global Biotransformation team (with several groups in Europe and North America) and to strengthen our metabolite identification (metID) and data mining capabilities/methodologies.
• As a biotransformation expert, you will develop state-of-the-art analytical methodologies for metabolite profiling and elucidate metabolite structures by HPLC (with and without radioactivity detection) and mass spectrometry.
• You will plan and execute tailored experiments, maintain the laboratory environment/instruments, and support the development of new technologies. You will ultimately have to support our outsourcing efforts and the reporting of biotransformation results.
• As a data scientist, depending on your level of proficiency, you will apply concepts to unify statistics, data analysis, machine learning and related methods in order to understand and analyze actual biotransformation pathways and mechanisms.
• With help of scientific methods, processes, algorithms and systems, you will extract knowledge and insights from (un)structured data. Furthermore you will represent our ADME line function in PKS subteams and project teams, present findings in teams, document results in internal and external reports/publications and contribute to registration documents.
• Additional responsibilities will include the training and supervision of technical staff. Although not required, some programming knowledge is beneficial.
Minimum requirements• Degree in organic/analytical/biochemistry or applied data science (MSc, PhD or equivalent)
• Good knowledge of English language
• Experience in Biotransformation in an industry setting
• Excellent (hands-on) experience with LC-mass spectrometry and metabolite profiling and metabolite structure elucidation.
• We expect good understanding of the drug discovery/development process and the ability to design, supervise, and interpret various types of biotransformation studies
• In addition, knowledge of reactive metabolites and their impact on drug safety would be an asset.
Why consider Novartis?
750 million. That’s how many lives our products touch. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.