Job Description400+ scientists globally! Our Chemical Biology and Therapeutics Department (CBT) encompasses the full-spectrum of advanced capabilities needed to succeed in a state-of-the-art and collaborative drug discovery environment.
We are seeking to hire a highly motivated cryo-electron microscopist to lead the cryo-EM activities in Cambridge, MA. Cryo-electron microscopy is one of the key technologies that CBT is heavily investing in to enable structure-guided drug discovery and to deliver molecular insights in therapeutically important protein targets. Our new facility will be equipped with a Glacios microscope, Falcon 3 camera and all tools required for sample preparation. We partner with our Novartis cryo-EM colleagues in Basel, Switzerland, for high resolution data collection on our Titan Krios and subsequent single particle analysis. The position is within our Protein Science group, an interdisciplinary team that has expertise in protein chemistry, enzymology, biophysics, NMR, X-ray crystallography, and electron microscopy. Our mission is to enable structure-guided drug discovery for multiple disease areas and to identify innovative approaches that can address difficult drug targets.
The responsibilities of this new position include guiding the operation of the Glacios microscope as well as sharing cryo-EM expertise with members of the Protein Science community. You will closely collaborate with our scientists on their cryo-EM projects and independently drive single particle cryo-EM studies on novel and challenging drug-discovery projects. We welcome your creativity, organizational skills, and your ability to communicate well in highly collaborative cross-functional teams.
• You will lead all cryo-EM related activities at our new facility and shape its direction and impact
• You will build and train a team of scientists to support day-to-day operational tasks and share your hands-on cryo-EM expertise
• You will work closely with Novartis colleagues at the EM-center in Basel, Switzerland, to collect high resolution data on our Titan Krios, and perform subsequent single particle analysis
• Consult with the local EM community to maintain a state-of-the art cryo-EM environment
• Collaborate closely with protein scientist within CBT as well as research teams across diverse Disease Areas to initiate and lead single particle cryo-EM projects for targets of interest to Novartis
• Perform cryo-EM research independently including grid preparation, (automated) screening, negative stain EM, data collection, 2D class averaging, 3D-reconstruction and refinement.
• Form partnerships with local academic institutions to exchange knowledge and experience on innovative solutions, and to collaborate on scientific projects
• Engage in an interdisciplinary and collaborative research environment and proactively communicate project updates and developments, present cryo-EM results at team meetings
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Minimum requirements• Doctoral degree or equivalent in Biochemistry, Biophysics, Physics, Chemistry or related field with at least 3 -5 years of relevant experience in an academic or industry setting
• Well versed in EM hardware maintenance and computation within the cryo-EM workflow
• Extensive hands-on experience with all aspects of single particle cryo-EM including grid preparation, negative stain EM, data collection, class averaging, 3D-reconstruction and refinement
• Demonstrated success of structure determination using single particle cryo-EM
• Excellent organizational and communication skills plus the ability to work independently as well as in highly collaborative cross functional teams in an inclusive manner
Why consider Novartis?
750 million. That’s how many lives our products touch. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.