Cambridge, MA Summer Internships: Chemistry
Cambridge, MA Summer Internships: Chemistry
You are applying to be part of the Novartis Talent Pool. We are not currently recruiting for this role but we are building a pipeline for future opportunities. If you would like to be considered for a similar position in future, then please submit your CV.
Job Description**This is a multi-step application process. Please read the directions in the minimum requirements section BEFORE applying**
The summer internship positions are temporary/contract positions working onsite at Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research, employed through our onsite Managed Service Provider, Pro Unlimited.
Scientific training with real world impact…
Imagine determining the mechanism of action of covalent inhibitors to bacterial genes involved in fatty acid synthesis or assessing and imaging soluble biomarkers involved in drug-induced kidney toxicity. Through the scientific intern program at the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR), your contribution to the search for new disease therapies can begin before you graduate. Our program is designed to introduce talented students to drug discovery and to train them in experimental work in this area.
As an intern, you will have an opportunity to conduct research under the guidance of a dedicated NIBR research mentor building on your existing research experiences. You will have a chance to learn new experimental protocols and techniques; gain experience in designing and executing experiments; and analyze the data you produce. You will also participate in journal clubs, weekly seminars and during project discussion in group meetings. Moreover, you will have an opportunity to interact with other interns during social outings.
Summer Internship Opportunities Chemistry
NIBR is seeking Summer Scientific Interns to provide organic chemistry, computational chemistry, and biochemistry support for drug discovery laboratories at our Cambridge, MA facility. Students will gain experience around performing organic synthesis experiments and purification procedures using standard organic chemistry laboratory techniques or new methods from literature to obtain pure, characterized compounds for biological evaluation.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Minimum requirements• No previous research experience is needed to apply.
• Students who have completed at least three semesters or four quarters at an accredited U.S. college or university are welcome to apply.
• Current M.S., Ph.D., and M.D. students are not eligible for this program.
• Applicants must be enrolled in an accredited college or university in a U.S. state or territory and be eligible to work in the United States for any employer at the time of application. NOTE: Novartis will not provide work authorization assistance.
• Applicants should have a strong desire to pursue graduate-level education in biomedical sciences and have at least a G.P.A of 3.3 out of a 4.0 scale.
• Inclusion of the broadest slate of talent is very important to us. We encourage applications from talented individuals, including those who are currently underserved in the sciences. Examples include first-generation college students, socioeconomically disadvantaged students, individuals with learning differences, and under-represented minorities.
• Application Deadline: December 13th, 2019. We will not be able to accept applications after this date.
1. Personal Statement --in two pages or less, address ALL of the following:
a. Why you are interested in a research training experience at Novartis? How participation as a NIBR Summer Scholar will contribute to your academic and professional development
b. A brief description of relevant coursework
c. Your specific scientific areas of interest and study
2. Curriculum Vitae (CV) Form
3. Three recommendations. Please share the following link with your recommenders: https://www.surveygizmo.eu/s3/90167767/2020-Summer-Scholar-Recommendation-Form
4. SUPPLEMENTAL: Describe any previous research experience you have, through a summer program, an academic year program or lab course, and what you gained from the experience and what you accomplished scientifically. NOTE: Previous research experience is not a primary consideration, but may be used to match selected students with specific research areas.
Please go to https://www.novartis.com/careers/students-scholars for more information
Program Dates: June 1st through August 7, 2020
Application Deadline: December 13, 2019
Compensation: The internship is a paid, full-time, 37.5 hour per week temporary position working onsite at Novartis, employed through Pro Unlimited.
Housing and Travel: Financial support for housing and travel will be available based on the Company's non-discriminatory assessment of the applicant's financial need.
Please complete and submit the following survey by the application deadline if you would like to be considered or financial support for housing and travel:
At Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research, our culture of science is open, entrepreneurial, and collegial, unwilling to accept barriers or conventional wisdom. By hiring the best academic, biotech, and pharmaceutical trained scientists, we have fostered an atmosphere for drug discovery where innovation is rewarded. We have created a dynamic and flexible culture that values and utilizes each associate’s diverse background, unique style and wealth of experience. It is ultimately the talent of the individual that determines the project’s success, while our state-of-the-art technologies and resources enable these ideas to be realized.