MD Data Science Expert, Translational Medicine - Director
MD Data Science Expert, Translational Medicine - Director
Job Description20 petabytes of data. 2 million patient-years of information. 30 data domains from preclinical through Phase 3 trials. All waiting for you to unlock the next breakthrough in medicine.
Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients. Not only do we fund the majority of our own internal discovery research, the way we approach it is different too: partnering physician scientists with basic researchers and data analysts enables us to focus earlier on unmet patient need and discover where drugs will have the most impact. Translational Medicine is a group of physicians and scientists that drive innovative science from discovery to the patient through the selection, profiling, and effective development of medicines.
As a Translational Medicine and Data Science Expert you will provide medical and scientific expertise and leadership to:
• Drive the success of early global programs, develop and implement strategies to achieve clinical Proof of Concept as well as late global programs; and develop and implement strategies leading to clinical pharmacology and profiling packages that meet regulatory requirements and support differentiated and competitive drug labeling
• Support Translational Research in developing new indications, endpoints and biomarkers, using in vitro, in vivo, or in silico methods
• Apply data science methodology to identify potential indications, endpoints, biomarkers, and pathway nexi that can optimize the early clinical development strategy by collaborating with the Biomarker Development team and research discovery colleagues to integrate clinical and preclinical information into the clinical development approach.
• Apply data science methodology to develop evidence to support the full development program. This includes using internal and external data to evaluate the impact of various clinical scenario
• Provide leadership between medical and data science disciplines to leverage Novartis and external data for Translational Medicine programs.
• Provide scientific expert assessments and support for in-licensing opportunities, including due diligences
You will join at an exciting time for Data science programs in Novartis, including one that’s digitizing all the clinical and preclinical data collected since our inception to create a single accessible, searchable database that will transform how we do research.
Minimum requirementsWhat you will bring to the role:
• Medical Doctor degree required; additional PhD / PhD-level research. Board Certified preferred
• Demonstrated clinical background and patient experience in one or more of immunology, allergy, dermatology, rheumatology, renal or transplant.
• Relevant scientific excellence, evidenced by quality publications and significant contributions to your field over time
• Quantitative expertise in biostatistics, bioinformatics, computer science, data science or related technical field. Hands-on experience analyzing, interpreting, publishing studies consisting of a variety of omics technologies (NGS, proteomics, etc.). Formal training and demonstrated experience with machine learning, “big data” analysis, statistical approaches to exploratory analysis, or related aspects of data science
• Experience performing in a similar role within a Pharmaceutical research company, a Clinical Research Organization or an academic medical center. Used to leading complex cross-functional/matrix project teams with proven success collaborating with expert disease research scientists and non-specialists
• Recognized expert in your field. You have driven success for studies and projects and are respected by a wide range of internal colleagues and external collaborators
• Demonstrated passion for science, seeking out new clinical discovery opportunities and early clinical study approaches
• Advanced leadership, planning, prioritization, problem solving and organizational skills
• Business-level/fluent English
Novartis supports international family relocation.
ABOUT TRANSLATIONAL MEDICINE
Translational Medicine (TM) is a global group of nearly 900 scientists and physicians working at the pre-clinical and early clinical stage of drug discovery.
Our Physician-Scientist TM Discovery & Profiling group drives innovative and cutting–edge science from Discovery to the market through the selection, profiling and effective global development of successful medicines. The group closes the gap between preclinical research and clinical development and integrates clinical science into the discovery and preclinical development phase. Our Translational Medicine concepts are driven by medical needs of the patient and the concept of personalized medicine, tailoring the drug, its dose and dosing regimen to the patient that the clinical response is optimal in efficacy and safety.
We focus from identification of drug targets (molecular pathways relevant to disease) up to the completion of Proof of Concept (Phase IIa studies). Our Translational Medicine Experts are part of preclinical project teams in all drug discovery phases and help design the pathway for First in Human studies (healthy volunteer) that bridge to studies in the patient population. They have the comprehensive responsibility for designing and executing the early clinical drug development phase with a project team from researchers, biomarkers, biostatistics, modeling and simulation, toxicology, technical experts and the clinical trial teams.
Translational Medicine Experts with an interest in profiling will often continue as members of late stage global project team to characterize the clinical pharmacology, the mode of action, the biomarker response of a compound, look for new potential indications, contribute to the drug approval process, and profile a new compound further in the market.
WHY CONSIDER NOVARTIS?
750 million. That’s how many lives our products touch. And while we’re proud of that, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are empowered to ask new questions, make bolder decisions and take smarter risks.
We are Novartis. Join us and help reimagine medicine