Respiratory Disease Physician Scientist - Cambridge or Basel
Respiratory Disease Physician Scientist - Cambridge or Basel
Job Description6500! That’s the number of associates in the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients. Translational Medicine (TM) is the clinical research arm of NIBR, and includes about 1000 associates globally. TM plays a pivotal role in bringing innovative medicines to patients, by building on research advances to develop new therapies, and bridging drug discovery and clinical application.
The TM Discovery & Profiling (TMDP) is a group of physicians and clinical researchers who drive that innovative science from discovery to the patient through the selection, profiling, and effective development of medicines. TM is currently seeking a Respiratory Disease Physician Scientist (TM Expert, Respiratory).
Respiratory diseases are a major cause of morbidity and mortality around the world. Novartis is committed to developing new treatments for pulmonary diseases, including asthma, COPD, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) and sarcoid. Current agents in respiratory clinical development include fevipiprant for asthma, QBW251 for COPD, CJM112 for asthma, CSJ117 for asthma, CMK389 for sarcoidosis, and VAY736 for IPF.
Respiratory diseases work within NIBR is done predominantly at our sites located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and Basel, Switzerland.
As a Translational Medicine Expert, Respiratory you will be a physician-scientist with expertise in immunology or respiratory diseases or clinical pharmacology with drug development expertise in respiratory diseases. You will be a key and highly visible member of global cross-functional project teams. The teams design and implement early research and discovery projects, which culminate in clinical proof-of-concept studies. Respiratory translational medicine experts become involved in projects at the onset, collaborating with colleagues in biology and chemistry to identify targets in diseases with significant unmet medical needs and providing input on likely clinical development pathways. As the project transitions from laboratory based research to the clinic, the translational medicine expert assumes leadership of the cross-function team. Results from successful proof-of-concept studies allow the teams to make rational decisions on whether a project should proceed to full development. The proof-of-concept studies are identified as one of the most critical steps in drug development at Novartis. After proof-of-concept and if the program proceeds to full development, the translational medicine expert continues as a key member of the full development team up to and including registration.
Your primary responsibilities as a TM Expert will be to:
• Help identify respiratory diseases with significant unmet medical need.
• Provide input to the research group on target selection, target validation, and pre-clinical development of compounds.
• Develop the proof-of-concept strategy for an early project.
• Ensure full implementation of early clinical studies, including the proof-of-concept study.
• Supply medical support for relevant pharmacokinetic studies.
• Provide leadership to the clinical project team.
• Develop and implement (with operational support and input from biomarker development) the compound-related biomarker strategies.
• Provide translational medicine input to the global drug development organization on key development decisions following proof-of-concept and lead the clinical profiling program during subsequent full development.
• Serve as a key representative to health authorities in matters that focus on early clinical development.
• Act as an effective representative to external medically-related experts and organizations.
• Provide specific medical and scientific respiratory disease expertise to other non-respiratory disease programs or projects as needed.
• Evaluate potential clinical trial centers and foster communication with collaborating investigators.
• Mentor translational medicine and other colleagues on scientific, clinical and drug development issues.
Position can be located in Cambridge, MA or Basel, Switzerland.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Minimum requirementsWhat you will bring to the role:
• Medical doctorate degree (MD or equivalent) is required.
• Completion of an academic medical fellowship with subspecialty clinical training in pulmonary diseases, allergy/immunology or a closely related field including clinical pharmacology with drug development expertise in respiratory disease
• Basic or clinical science experience in a relevant area with a proven record of quality publications.
You must possess one of the following:
At least five years of clinical experience with relevant patient groups at an academic medical center
Three plus years of experience in a pharmaceutical company or clinical research organization
Related clinical trial experience within a clinical pharmacology related discipline.
You also need the following:
• Demonstrated ability to create significant innovations.
• Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to network with and influence others.
• Ability to provide clear and logical presentations of complex strategic issues.
Why consider Novartis?
750 million. That’s how many lives our products touch. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.