Executive Director - Oncology BD&L
Executive Director - Oncology BD&L
Job Description$13.4 billion in 2018 sales within Novartis Oncology company with four distinct treatment platforms: Targeted, Radioligand, Cell & Gene, and Immuno-Therapies.
We are transforming our culture, supporting our Associates to be “unbossed” and embrace their curiosity and diverse thinking so Novartis is “the place to be” in Oncology. Our Business Development and Licensing (BD&L) team is a critical element of that strategy - join our team and help us reimagine medicine. Novartis supports international family relocation.
You will be a member of the Oncology BD&L Leadership Team with an important role towards deal success. You will lead out-licensing, in-licensing and M&A projects associated across our Oncology Franchises (Breast, Lung, Solid Tumors, Hematology, Rare Disease and Cell and Gene Therapy), driving projects from identification, evaluation, due diligence, valuations, through internal approval, external negotiations to deal consummation.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Lead BD&L efforts for Oncology on prioritized projects across the Oncology Franchises; the primary BD&L representative for one or more Franchises; the primary BD&L representative/liaison for out-licensing of deprioritized oncology commercial and/or late-stage development assets
• Responsible for Search and Evaluation (S&E) and Negotiations/Transactions to deliver on all types of BD&L activities including in-licensing, M&A, out-licensing (in coordination with Global BD&L Out-licensing team), regional BD&L deals and clinical trial collaborations
• Lead cross functional deal teams & management through the deal workstreams (Diligence, Commercial, Finance, Communications, Negotiations, internal approvals, Alliance Management, Anti-trust, HR)
• Execute on complex transactions requiring effective divisional stakeholder management (e.g. Research, Commercial)
• Develop and execute process to monitor high interest clinical assets and build productive relationship with senior management of potential partners
• BD&L representative and lead BD&L discussions on one or more of the Franchise Leadership Teams involved in generating and implementing the Oncology Disease Area strategy
• Monitor promising oncology assets through conference/meeting coverage, networking with biotech, academic institutions, venture capital firms and other market participants.
• Lead preparation of materials for Oncology Deal Committee meetings to review and provide timely input/decisions on opportunities
Minimum requirementsWhat you’ll bring to the role:
• BS in biomedical or life sciences required: Ph.D. in biomedical sciences or MD strongly preferred. MBA also advantageous
• Fluent / business-level English
• Minimum 10 years of Pharmaceutical / Biotech industry experience including at least 5 years in a BD role, successfully leading, negotiating and successfully closing Oncology deals. Additional Licensing experience preferred.
• Proven strategic business acumen alongside understanding the science behind new compounds; can challenge scientific thinking; understand the commercial opportunities these present longer term.
• Strategic and creative thinker. You have a natural sense of urgency, curiosity, innovation
• Impactful and influential, engaging leaders with clear and logical presentation of complex issues, fact-based insight and compelling business cases thanks to your excellent interpersonal skills including advanced verbal and written communication skills
• Sophisticated planning and complex problem solving skills
• Used to successfully developing and maintaining effective, collaborative and long-lasting relationships across a complex international organization with multiple cultures and thinking styles
Within your application, if your CV doesn't already have a deal summary then please include a deal summary document giving a more detailed overview of your deal experience.
WHY CONSIDER NOVARTIS?
750 million. That’s how many lives our products touch. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are empowered to ask new questions, make bolder decisions and take smarter risks.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine