Job DescriptionMore than 100,000 people across 140 countries are working for Novartis to discover, develop and successfully market innovative products to prevent and cure diseases, to ease suffering, and to enhance the quality of life.
The Pharmacokinetic Sciences (PKS) Department within the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR) in Basel Switzerland is recruiting for a PhD-level scientist with experience in metabolic profiling and data science to join their global Biotransformation team (with several groups in Europe and North America) to strengthen the department’s metabolite identification (metID) and data mining capabilities/methodologies.
As a biotransformation expert, you will develop state-of-the-art analytical methodologies for metabolite profiling and elucidate metabolite structures by HPLC (with and without radioactivity detection) and mass spectrometry. You will plan and execute tailored experiments, maintain the laboratory environment/instruments, and support the development of new technologies. You will ultimately have to support our outsourcing efforts and the reporting of biotransformation results. As a data scientist, depending on your level of proficiency, you will apply concepts to unify statistics, data analysis, machine learning and related methods in order to understand and analyze actual biotransformation phenomena. With help of scientific methods, processes, algorithms and systems, you will extract knowledge and insights from (un)structured data. Furthermore, depending on the seniority of the successful candidate, you will represent the ADME line function in PKS subteams and project teams, present findings in teams, document results in internal and external reports/publications and contribute to registration documents. Therefore, we desire an individual that has a good understanding of the drug discovery/development process, has the ability to design, supervise, and interpret various types of biotransformation studies and has a keen interest in implementing/optimizing experimental methods and data mining approaches. The successful candidate delivers quality and timeliness results on internal and/or outsourced studies and represent those at cross-functional teams and department meetings. The responsibilities of the position include that the candidate will ensure adequate training and supervision of technical staff. Although not required, some programming knowledge is beneficial.
Minimum requirements• Degree in analytical/biochemistry or applied data science (MSc, PhD or equivalent) with experience in Biotransformation in an industry setting
• Excellent (hands) experience with LC-mass spectrometry and metabolite profiling and metabolite structure elucidation
• Good understanding of drug metabolism in in vitro and in vivo models
• High level of familiarity with data mining and big data concepts
• Good attention to detail, an analytical investigative and questioning nature, with an innovative solution-oriented approach
• A sharp and objective intellect, experienced in balancing big picture thinking with an investigative nature, drilling into detail as appropriate
• Well-developed interpersonal skills with good presence; experienced presenter and communicator
• A self-starter and decision taker; open, confident and persuasive, succeeding through influence • Good planning, prioritisation, problem solving and organisational skills
• Resilient, energetic and enthusiastic; responding constructively to challenging new ideas and inputs
• Good knowledge of English language
WHY CONSIDER NOVARTIS?
927 million. That’s how many lives our products touched in 2017. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help reimagine medicine.