GEMMs Breeding Coordinator
GEMMs Breeding Coordinator
Job Description$3.4 Billion Invested in US Research & Development, representing 38% of Novartis' global R&D expenditure of $9 billion. The Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR) is the innovation engine of Novartis. With a US team of scientists, physicians and business professionals, NIBR works to discover potential new therapies that could improve health outcomes for patients
Our Laboratory Animal Service Operations provides high quality and consistent breeding project management for genetically engineered mouse model colonies (GEMMs) within our multi-building, multi-discipline research program.
In this role, you will oversee our colony of genetically engineered mouse models by providing high quality and consistent breeding project management and strategic input for genetically engineered mouse model colonies (GEMMs).
You will use your experience in rodent breeding to manage internal and external breeding colonies and liaising regularly with assigned research department personnel.
What you’ll be doing
Your responsibilities will include:
• Routinely review, optimize and align breeding goals according progress of drug-development scientific projects
• Additionally responsible for executing PCR assay protocols and performing genetic assessments
• Occasionally responsible for hands-on technical in vivo breeding support (i.e. establishing mating pairs, tail cuts, ear tags, ear notches, tattooing, etc.)
• Possibility of expanding responsibility to embryology and cryopreservation activities
• Routinely responsible for ensuring compliance with all institutional and regulatory protocols, policies, and guidelines
• Responsible for pursuing continuous learning/professional development opportunities, enhancing/expanding skill set, and reviewing LAS SOPs/techniques
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Minimum requirementsWhat you will bring to the role:
• AAS/BS degree in Biology or other science degree
• LAT Certification desirable or pursued after start or country specific equivalents as applicable
• Extensive background in managing breeding colonies (scientific and project management), intermediate/advanced knowledge of genetics is a significant benefit
• Excellent mathematic & compound dose/volume administration calculation skills
• Working knowledge of federal, state, local (Animal Welfare) laws, departmental SOP’s and Good Laboratory Practices.
• Thorough understanding and comprehension of operational facts, techniques, nomenclature, equipment, theories, etc. as they relate specifically to job performance function in the laboratory animal research environment
What Novartis can offer you?
Yes, we offer exceptional benefits and competitive salaries. However, we can offer more. Here you will:
• Opportunity to play a critcal role in the advancement of science
• Be part of a world class organization dedicated to providing solutions to un-met medical needs
• Join an organization that is committed to your development and advancement
Why consider Novartis?
927 million. That is how many lives our products touched in 2017. Moreover, while we are proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you are given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you are empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges surround you.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us re-imagine medicine.