- Novartis associates worldwide to dedicate 200,000 work hours to supporting the local community
- Highest associate participation to date; activities now benefiting hundreds of charities in 54 countries
- Annual volunteer event organized to commemorate the creation of Novartis in 1996
Basel, April 26, 2012 - Today Novartis associates across 54 countries are engaging in volunteer activities to benefit people in their local communities in celebration of the company's annual Community Partnership Day (CPD). This year marks the 16th Community Partnership Day, commemorating the 1996 creation of Novartis as a global leader in healthcare. Participation in the 2012 CPD activities is seeing a 25% increase over the previous year, with more than 25,000 Novartis associates worldwide supporting a wide range of charitable causes.
Novartis associates are lending a hand in the world's largest markets - and in countries where the company has a smaller presence. Significant efforts are planned in the United States, China, Japan, Brazil, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, India and Russia. Novartis volunteers also will have a real impact in countries as diverse as Congo, Madagascar, Bangladesh, Costa Rica and Senegal.
Examples of volunteer service as part of this year's Community Partnership Day include:
- More than 4,400 associates throughout Switzerland, including 3,600 from the Basel headquarters area, will participate in a range of voluntary projects at nursing homes and centers for young adults and children with disabilities. In Nyon, associates will facilitate a series of workshop topics such as human resources, marketing and presentation skills with young people to provide insight into the workplace and career planning.
- In Spain, around 300 associates are expected to donate blood and spend time producing arts and crafts with disabled children, as well as redecorate and repair local school buildings.
- At Novartis Vietnam, 270 associates will donate 50 bicycles to 50 children from the poorest areas of Ho Chi Minh City.
- Associates in Senegal will educate locals on disease prevention and offer free glycemia and blood pressure measurement. Those associates who are medically qualified will offer free consultations. They aim to consult and treat around 200 patients for free.
- 130 associates in Portugal will prepare and deliver food baskets and boxes containing baby care products and hygiene kits to families in need, as well as plant a garden with vegetables to support the homeless at a local community center.
- More than 180 associates across various divisions and business units in Novartis Taiwan are expected to engage in the volunteer works with local and the elderly this year in 14 different events. Activities will include distributing food parcels to the elders living alone and producing crafts with disabled people. Free health check-up services will also be offered.
- 100 associates from Novartis Czech Republic will visit three orphanages and one children's hospital near Prague where they will organize and participate in educational and sporting activities as well as creative workshops.
- Around 150 associates in Peru will support a local school for the native Shipiba community living in the jungle outside of Lima. At the school associates will help to paint the classrooms and rebuild the playgrounds, amongst other activities.
- In Turkey, 300 associates will partner with Make-A-Wish Foundation to help children and young adults suffering with life-threatening medical conditions. They will also partner with the Turkish Red Crescent to offer blood donation.
- 500 associates in Egypt are invited to strengthen ties with the local community by clearing, tidying and planting public and private spaces around Cairo.
- In Greece, 450 associates will engage in a range of local community projects including preparing and distributing food parcels to around 150 families, delivering meals and personal care kits to a center for the homeless and helping to redecorate stables and facilities at a therapeutic riding center used to help rehabilitate people with physical and mental disorders or handicaps.
Novartis provides innovative healthcare solutions that address the evolving needs of patients and societies. Headquartered in Basel, Switzerland, Novartis offers a diversified portfolio to best meet these needs: innovative medicines, eye care, cost-saving generic pharmaceuticals, preventive vaccines and diagnostic tools, over-the-counter and animal health products. Novartis is the only global company with leading positions in these areas. In 2011, the Group's continuing operations achieved net sales of USD 58.6 billion, while approximately USD 9.6 billion (USD 9.2 billion excluding impairment and amortization charges) was invested in R&D throughout the Group. Novartis Group companies employ approximately 124,000 full-time-equivalent associates and operate in more than 140 countries around the world. For more information, please visit http://www.novartis.com.
Novartis is on Twitter. Sign up to follow @Novartis at http://twitter.com/novartis.
# # #
Novartis Media Relations
|Central media line : +41 61 324 2200|
| Beth Calitri|
Novartis Global Media Relations
+41 61 324 7973 (direct)
+41 79 523 0198 (mobile)